Ge4U: Gender for Energy Unions
NGO Labor and Health Social Initiatives (LHSI) with the support of the USAID Energy Security Project (ESP) will develop a Code of Practice on Gender-Sensitive and Inclusive Policy in the Energy Sector. LHSI will develop the Manual for trade union leaders on the mechanisms How to put Gender Code into practice, will conduct information campaign on women empowerment and protection of their health rights in the energy sector under the Grant Program of the International Technical Assistance Project.
Increase the capacities of the Energy sector trade union members to promote gender-sensitive policies and practises at energy enterprises in Ukraine.
Project implementation period
November 2020 - February 2022
Trade union leaders and energy sector employees
- Develop and present the Code of Practice on Gender-Sensitive and Inclusive Policy in the Energy Sector (Gender Code). The Gender Code is intended to introduce a gender-sensitive approach in the field, focusing on the following sections: equal rights, non-discrimination, salaries and benefits, working hours, zero tolerance to harassment and abuse, health and safety, labor relations, management systems according to the best international and national practices.
The Gender Code was developed and piloted among union members. Their feedback and recommendations is taken into account; the finalized Gender Code was presented for trade union leaders and employers in the energy sector over the round table in June 2021
The code can be downloaded in Ukrainian here
- Develop the Manual for trade union leaders on the mechanisms How to put Gender Code into practice. Trade union leaders will be involved in the development, discussion, and piloting of the Manual. The Manual will be presented for trade union leaders and employers in the energy sector.
- Support of existing gender committees. This includes providing technical assistance, developing work plans, supporting development of documents to promote gender issues and protection of the rights of female employees. The project will facilitate the exchange of experience between trade unions and peer education using international and Ukrainian best practices.
- Conduct an information campaign on women empowerment and protection of their health rights in the energy sector, including:
- development and implementation of the communication strategy for partner trade unions to increase the opportunities for women and support their right to safe work and health, comprising advises about the COVID-19 prevention;
- publishing articles in the social media, energy sector-related websites and media;
- distribution of the information materials on gender and inclusivity at the energy companies’ workplaces.
Nuclear Energy Trade Union of Ukraine, Oil and Gas Industry Trade Union of Ukraine, energy sector employers.